Music MM Composition
The MM in Composition degree program builds upon the students' undergraduate degree training. It primarily enhances students' ability to compose in larger dimensions and with larger forces, readying them for professional composing careers or for further graduate study at the doctoral level.
Understanding of Aesthetic Application
Understand how aesthetics applies to their discipline.
Articulate the historical aspects of music, particularly that of the modern era.
Compose with advanced skill and techniques and mount a full recital of new works.
Know how to create a large-scale composition.
Expand and deepen one's knowledge of the contemporary canon of serious composition.
Evidence of Learning
We accept the online teacher evaluations. Because we are primarily in private lesson study we see frequently, firsthand and individually, what methods work and don't work with our various students. We tailor improvements as needed.
- Jury of graduate composition recital
- Semesterly juried portfolio
- Jury of culminating composition
- Quizzes, exams, papers, and projects required in respective courses
Indirect evaluations include reviewing the following information:
- Feedback from colleagues outside BYU
- Student evaluations
- Feedback from recent graduates
- Informal discussions with students after concerts and other events
Learning and Teaching Assessment and Improvement
- We currently evaluate using the placement record of our students in the professional or academic world, the winning of competititons or commissions, publication, and so forth. We plan to set goals for our students in learning.
- We will explore the possibility of and manner which seems most appropriate for sharing ideas for implementation of plans for improvement.